for multidisciplinary projects
Stefanutti Stocks is a listed, multidisciplinary construction group (a B-BBEE Level 1 contributor) with the capability to deliver a range of projects of any scale to a multitude of clients in diverse markets. As an ambitious and well-respected construction group we boast technical proficiency across all our disciplines.
Our reputation is backed by the premier Stefanutti Stocks brand, decades of industry experience and common values which include an uncompromising commitment to safety and quality.
Our strength as a contractor lies in our diversity, as we offer conventional and niche skills within the disciplines of Building, Civils, Geotechnical, Roads & Earthworks (including bulk pipelines), Oil & Gas, Electrical & Instrumentation, Mechanical, Tailings Management and Materials Handling.
Our geographic footprint spans all provinces of South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa, Our operations within Botswana, Mozambique, Eswatini and Zambia are also established local contractors and industry partners of choice. We also offer significant experience in creating a support and project infrastructure even in the harshest environments, where recruitment and up-skilling of local communities is inevitably part of a project’s deliverables.
CIDB Level 9
We have a Grade 9 rating from the South African Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB), providing our group with unlimited tender capability. Furthermore, our broad spectrum of expertise means that we have the capability and capacity to offer a single point accountability on multidisciplinary (infrastructure development) projects, effectively removing the interface risk from the clients’ domain.
The Founders Mentality – Our Philosophy
The main barriers to achieve growth and financial goals and ultimately the sustainability of the organisation, are not entirely influenced by the outside market and are often restricted by internal factors. Companies that stand out from their competitors can base their business model on what is called, the “Founder’s Mentality”, a concept which we at Stefanutti Stocks have decided to embrace.
Most great company founders have this mentality, and it is a mindset with which we approach business and deal with all stakeholders. It can be viewed as a stimulus to internal company health and highlights the importance of the maintenance of company energy levels, staying focused on the mission and being innovative. This approach is built on three concepts:
- Business Insurgency
- Frontline Obsession
- Owner’s Mindset
Business Insurgency is what makes a company unique, drives it to succeed, and gives it its soul. It is dependent on a long-term commitment and a focused business plan that will ensure sustainability. It is characterised by bold traits that makes a business unique and gives it energy, such as our vision “if you can dream it, we can construct it”.
Frontline Obsession relates to the obsession with which an organisation places focus on its customers and ensures that all employees feel part of and contribute to the business. A frontline obsession ensures that the right people are in the right positions, with the right plans and the required tools to deliver on our mission of “excellence in execution”.
The final element is the Owner’s Mindset. This concept encompasses the sense of ownership of the business by each employee and drives a desire at all levels of staff for responsibility and accountability in ensuring we achieve our mission of “excellence in execution”. The achievement of the mission is personalised at all levels and increases commitment, productivity, and loyalty.
Stefanutti Stocks Way
The “Stefanutti Stocks Way” comprises three enablers that are key to our sustainability:
- Energised and engaged employees
- Client relationships
- Flawless execution
Energised and engaged employees are key to ensuring the achievement of our vision and mission. To energise and engage our employees, we invest in our people through training, career development and regular performance management which drives the business towards the goal of a sustainable, transformed, and diverse organisation.
Client relationships are key to ensuring a sustainable business. The need to understand our client’s business and project needs is paramount to laying the foundation for “excellence in execution” in current and future work. This is achieved through ongoing regular contact with clients at all levels. An open mind in these interactions enables a creative solution-driven culture which enhances relationships and supports a constant flow of future work.
Flawless execution reflects how we are ultimately measured by our clients. The five Ps namely, Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance together with a policy of zero harm in safety, health and the environment and doing things right the first time drives our flawless execution. A lean culture, good relationships with our construction partners and supply chain and pride in our plant and equipment remain key focuses in the business.
These three internal enablers are key to our sustainability and to the identity of Stefanutti Stocks and how we, as a business, are perceived by our staff and our multiple stakeholders.
Pockets of Excellence: Awards/Accolades
- In 2019 the Olifants River Arch Bridge in the Western Cape won a Fulton Award (Infrastructure). The new bridge is approximately 166 metres long, including a 93-metre long arch. It uses the ancient structural form of arch in an innovative way, giving an aesthetically pleasing modern version of the arch form. The deck profile is constant along the full length of the bridge, and the twin columns and arch result in a less bulky and more open structure. It has some unique design features and construction techniques which make this bridge a testament to excellence in the use of concrete. View
- In 2019 the Sal & Caldeira project, constructed by SS Construcões Mocambique LDA, won a Fulton Award in the Innovation in Concrete Projects category. An innovative “top down” construction method was used for the construction of a new seven-storey building along a very popular avenue in Maputo. The site had a steep incline and was surrounded by high-end buildings, and a restrictive land laws of Maputo states that no anchors may protrude into adjacent properties. View
- In 2019 the Regent’s Park Bridge – one of three pedestrian bridges constructed over the N17 in Johannesburg – received a commendation in the Fulton Awards Innovation in Concrete Projects category.
- In 2017 two of Stefanutti Stocks’ projects – the PY Track Slab (Innovation in Concrete) and the Kusile Power Station Main Civil & Completion Works (Infrastructure) received Fulton Award Commendations. View
- In 2015 the Precast Bunkers and Overland Conveyor Foundations at Shondoni Colliery received a Fulton Award Commendation. The Shondoni precast coal bunker comprises 491 pre-cast panels, the majority of which were placed on the sloping and vertical wall units by rope access teams. This method reduced the installation programme by a third. View
- In 2015 the Chevron Core Project in Cape Town won a Fulton Award for Architectural Concrete. View
- The multiple award-winning Horizon Towers dominate the Maputo skyline with clean lines of concrete and glass facades mimicking the rippling shape of the nearby waves. To meet a very tight construction programme the curved concrete balustrades to the slab edges were precast. View
- In 2015 the Fairscape Precinct in Botswana received a Fulton Award commendation. The twenty-eight storey Fairscape Tower comprises of four-hundred-and-fifty triangular ‘diagrid’ precast concrete units. It is the first building in Africa with such a façade and to have used precast concrete as a structural element. View
- In 2011 the incrementally launched bridge at the N1/R21 interchange in Tshwane received a commendation in the Fulton Awards Innovative Technology category. The bridge spans eight existing carriageways and had to be constructed without causing any disruptions to traffic on the busy N1 highway – this motivated the incremental launch bridge construction method.
- In 1999 the Majuba Cooling Tower contract won a Fulton Award for excellence in the use of concrete. The installation of pre-cast A-frames (massive concrete precast columns and beams erected with a hoist system) contributed to the project being completed one year ahead of schedule. View
- In 1994 the Tugela River Bridge construction won the prestigious Fulton Award for Excellence in the Use of Concrete. At that point in time this structure was the largest incrementally launched concrete box structure in the southern hemisphere. View
- A patented precast concrete tunnel lining system implemented for the access decline shaft (Nchwaning No 3) at Assmang’s Black Rock Mine in the Northern Cape. The Fulton Award winning precast lining system immediately provided permanent support, offering a stable, sound structure that protected the workmen placing the elements.
Our Leadership: Executive Committee
Yolanda du Plessis
Derek du Plessis
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Qualifications: National Higher Diploma Civil Engineering
Appointed: 11 August 2019
Stefanutti Stocks Board Committee Memberships: Social & Ethics Committee member and attends meetings of all other board committees by invitation
Russell has over forty years of experience in the civil engineering construction industry, including working on several large projects that cover the full spectrum of construction activities. He joined Stefanutti Stocks in 1990 as a site agent. In May 2016 he was invited to join the EXCO, when he was appointed Managing Director of the Roads, Pipelines and Mining Services Business Unit (renamed in January 2018 to Construction & Mining). In August 2019 Russell was appointed as our Chief Executive Officer.
Yolanda du Plessis
Position: Chief Financial Officer
Qualifications: BCompt (Hons), CA(SA), Post Graduate Diploma: International Tax
Appointed: 1 June 2021
Stefanutti Stocks Board Committee Memberships: Attends ARCO meetings and Social & Ethics Committee by invitation.
Yolanda qualified as a chartered accountant in 2006 and has more than 20 years’ experience in statutory reporting, audit, corporate governance and sustainability matters as well as tax. She joined Stocks Building Africa Proprietary Limited in 2007 and, in 2008, after the acquisition by Stefanutti Stocks was appointed as our Group Financial Manager. Yolanda held this position until her appointment as our Acting Chief Financial Officer in June 2021.
Derek du Plessis
Position: Managing Director Coastal Region
Qualifications: BCom Bus Admin
Appointed: September 2018
Derek has gained over 38 years of experience in the civil engineering construction industry. He joined the Stefanutti Stocks group in 2003 as General Manager in Eswatini (Swaziland) and became a director in 2006. In 2009 he was appointed as the Managing Director of the Eswatini group, and in January 2014 he was appointed as the SADC Managing Director. On 1 September 2018 Derek became the Construction & Mining Managing Director and joined the EXCO on the same date.
Position: Group Human Resources Executive
Qualifications: BSocSc (Hons), Programme for Management Development
Appointed: January 2014
Stefanutti Stocks Board Committee Memberships: S&E member and attends meetings of REMCO by invitation.
Mike has accumulated over 30 years of human resources experience, including five-an-a-half years as the PG Group’s Group Human Resources Director and 11 years in various divisions of Nampak as Divisional/Cluster Human Resources Director. He was appointed as Stefanutti Stocks Group Human Resources Executive in January 2014 and joined the EXCO that same year.
Position: Managing Director Africa Region
Qualifications: National Higher Diploma Civil Engineering
Appointed: March 2020
Shaun has almost three decades of years’ experience in the civil engineering construction industry. He first worked for Murray & Roberts for ten years, before spending six years working in Ireland. He joined the Stefanutti Stocks group in 2006 as a Contracts Manager and became a director in Eswatini in 2012. In 2016 Shaun was appointed as Managing Director of the Eswatini group; in September 2018 he became SADC Managing Director and on 1 March 2020 was appointed the Africa Managing Director.
Position: Managing Director Western Cape Region
Qualifications: BTech Civil Engineering
Appointed: January 2022
Mauro has over 30 years of experience in the construction industry. He joined the Stefanutti Stocks group in 2001 as Contracts Manager in the Western Cape and became a Contracts Director in 2004. He has worked on a number of high-profile projects across the province and was promoted to General Manager of Stefanutti Stocks Western Cape in 2012, and appointed as Managing Director in 2016. Mauro was appointed to the EXCO in January 2022.
Position: Managing Director Inland Region
Qualifications: M. Eng Civil Engineering. Pr.Eng
Appointed: January 2022
Eric has over 30 years of experience in the civil engineering construction industry during which he has worked on a broad range of large civil construction projects in South Africa and neighbouring countries. He joined the Stefanutti Stocks group in 2020 as Divisional Managing Director for the Roads & Earthworks Discipline. In January 2022 Eric was appointed as Managing Director of the Stefanutti Stocks Inland region (R&E and Civils disciplines) and joined the EXCO at the same time.