for multidisciplinary projects
Heritage Project Profile
The iconic The Horizon construction project in Maputo, was undertaken by SS Construções (Moçambique) for Fenix Projectos e Investimentos Lda between August 2013 and October 2016.
Background: This contract comprised the construction of a nineteen-storey apartment tower and a sixteen-storey office tower positioned above a four-floor mixed-use podium. At tender stage – and as a solution to meet a very tight programme – Stefanutti Stocks proposed pre-cast construction of the curved concrete balustrades to the slab edges, that are a major aesthetic feature of the two towers. The contract included the bulk earthworks and piling operation, which was awarded to Stefanutti Stocks Geotechnical.
The Project Scope
This high-rise mixed-use structure comprises luxurious residential, commercial, and retail facilities. A unique design feature of the building is its curved shapes with the clean lines of the concrete and glass facades mimicking the rippling shape of water. To meet the very tight programme, Stefanutti Stocks proposed pre-casting the curved shaped concrete balustrades to the slab edges. The two tower cores, each consist of five lift shafts and were constructed with the use of a hydraulic climbing shutter.
The project was completed to world-class standards within budget and a tight programme. A total of 2 722 919 manhours worked and a lost time injury frequency of zero was achieved.
The world-class standards achieved on this project have been recognised by several prestigious awards, including:
- Best Architectural Design at the API Summit & Expo 2017. The Expo is organised by the African Property Investment Awards (API Awards), which is one of Africa’s premier real estate competitions. The event took place at the Sandton Convention Centre, South Africa in August 2017.
- Best Development of the Year 2017, also known as the “Best of the Best” Award. This event is organised by Casa Mozambique Real Estate and was held in Maputo in July 2017.
- The 2017 SAPOA (South African Property Owners Association) Innovative Excellence Award for Best International Project.
- 75 000m2 floor area
- 39 floors
- 1 628 people on site at peak
- 167 853m2 formwork
- 3 982ton reinforcing steel
- 534 CFA piles
- 411 168m3 concrete
- 2 592 precast elements
Stefanutti Stocks: Construções (Moçambique), Lda
if you can dream it, we can construct it