for multidisciplinary projects
Premier Project Profile
Anglo American Platinum’s Mototolo Concentrator project
Multidisciplinary Stefanutti Stocks has executed three large-scale, multi-million mining infrastructure construction projects (phase 1, 2 and 3) for Anglo American Platinum’s Mototolo Concentrator project. These projects were executed on the mining house’s Mareesburg farm site in Steelpoort, Mpumalanga, and included the participation of the Roads & Earthworks, Civils, and the Geotechnical Discipline. Phases 1, 2 and 3 consisted of various stages of earthworks and civil construction of associated infrastructure for the Tailings Storage Facility (TSF). Phase 1 was executed between June 2017 and May 2019. Phase 2 was executed between October 2019 and December 2021, with Phase 3 running almost concurrently between May 2020 and December 2021.
Background: Mototolo Mine is an underground platinum mine located in the north-eastern part of South Africa in Burgersfort, Limpopo and represents one of South Africa’s largest platinum reserves. Stefanutti Stocks undertakes work for several Anglo-American mines in South Africa.
The Project Scope
Phase 1 Stefanutti Stocks Roads & Earthworks was awarded the Mototolo Concentrator contract that entailed earthworks and the construction of associated civil infrastructure for the facilities TSF, specifically for a 300 000m2 dam basin area constructed on a greenfield site. The scope included:
- Dam construction: Clear and grub, topsoil removal, explosives / blasting, importation of commercial filter sand, free issued fine and coarse tailings materials, the supply and installation of 0.75mm, 1.5mm and 2mm HDPE liner and specialist testing.
- Concrete works: Construction of a substation building, civil concrete works construction including valve stations, culverts, silt traps, solution trench, and concrete lined stormwater diversion trenches.
- Pipeline: Construction of a 12km steel multi-line tailings distribution pipeline system.
- Ancillary works: Fencing works, hydroseeding the site areas, electrical and instrumentation construction, and overhead lighting around the dam basin.
Phase 2 The follow-on contract from Phase 1 once again entailed earthworks and the construction of associated infrastructure – this time for the elongated extension of the dam basin area spanning a greenfield area of approximately 105 000m2. The scope included:
- Dam construction: Clear and grub, topsoil removal, explosives/blasting, importation of commercial filter sand, free issued fine and coarse tailings materials, the supply and installation of 2mm HDPE liner and specialist testing.
- Concrete works: Over 6,000m³ of concrete for the flush water valve station, culvert additions, concrete encased pipelines, silt trap, and solution trench.
- Pipeline: Supply, installation and commissioning of steel, uPVC and HDPE pipelines.
- Ancillary works: Clear-Vu fencing, hydroseeding, electrical and instrumentation construction, and installation of overhead lighting around the dam basin.
Phase 3 The follow-on contract from Phase 2 entailed the width extension of the dam basin area, spanning approximately 166 000m2 greenfield area and included:
- Dam construction: as per the scope for phase 2.
- Concrete works: as per the scope for phase 2, with the addition of 9 ±20 meter high multistage intake towers.
- Pipelines: Supply, installation, encase with concrete and commissioning of uPVC and HDPE piping works.
- Ancillary works: hydroseeding the site areas, electrical and instrumentation construction, overhead lighting around the dam basin and the construction of a steel pipeline.
|Phase 1||Phase 2||Phase 3|
|Site clearance||1 294 882m²||175 433m²||241 796m²|
|Excavation||753 980m³ (bulk)||24 858m³ (restricted) 20 310m³ (bulk)||17 666m³ (restricted) 55 396m³ (bulk)|
|Concrete works||2 580m³||6 126m³||2 782m³|
|HDPE liner||407 738m²||105 740m²||166 060m²|
|Crushed aggregate||87 500m³||95 500m³||–|
|Base preparation||270 624m²||30 624m²||51 068m²|
|Hard rock||167 275m³||–||38 358m³|
|Fine/coarse tailings haulage||146 093m³||87 500m³||62 996m³|
|Hydroseeding||109 971m²||129 090m²||57 302m²|
|Topsoil removal||89 632m³||52 500m³||28 068m³|
|Reinforcement||381 tons||284 tons||121 tons|
Stefanutti Stocks: Roads & Earthworks Discipline
if you can dream it, we can construct it