Wanotha Services (Pty) Ltd (trading as Wanotha Road Signs) is a B-BBEE Level 1, 100% black owned (90% black-women-owned) company that was established in 2015, as part of a strategic sustainability initiative by parent company Mega Roads & Civils, to create vertically integrated businesses within the road and traffic signs sector. This dynamic road infrastructure company has a CIDB grading of 4 SK PE (road marking and signage) and works across Southern Africa offering design, manufacture, supply and installation of road and traffic signs and accessories. Its products and services meet Southern African Development Community (SADC) standards, SA Road Traffic Act requirements, as well as National, Provincial and Municipal specifications.
Wanotha Road Sign’s parent company Mega Roads & Civils (also a B-BBEE Level 1, also 100% black owned, 90% black-women-owned, contracting company), has been part of the Stefanutti Stocks development programmes since 2016. It first participated in a Stefanutti Stocks Contractor Development Programme that focussed on transferring skills to emerging enterprises in existing or potentially synergistic relationships. At the time the business, then named Megaphase, was undertaking subcontracts for Stefanutti Stocks Roads & Earthworks. In 2018 the contractor began focusing more on civil and construction work and rebranded to Mega Roads & Civils. This company then joined the Stefanutti Stocks Enterprise Development Programme in 2018.
Key development areas were targeted annually. The development focuses were on strengthening and growing Mega Roads & Civils position amidst rising competition in the road infrastructure sector; assisting with systems, business policies and best practices; and creating a professional image, in line with the company’s ethos. Areas actioned included:
- 2018: Marketing and branding including development of a company logo, slogan, stationary and a corporate identity manual; human resource mentorship; and design of disciplinary policies & procedures booklets and posters.
- 2019: Employment contract mentorship and templates; construction health and safety skills training programme; and development of an on-brand company website.
- 2020: Promotional gifts; mentorship focusing on the business venturing out of South Africa in pursuit of securing more cross-border projects; pre-bid subcontractor agreement template; and assistance with a civils tender document requirements & qualifications.
- 2021: CCS license; CCS training; training including SHE Rep, first aid and firefighting training; and commercial & contractual knowledge training.
In 2020 Mega’s founder and director Nokuthula Dladla approached Stefanutti Stocks with the request for the smaller Wanotha Road Signs, led by her daughter Thando Dladla, to join the group’s enterprise development programme. “My desire is for Wanotha to benefit, much like Mega has, from Stefanutti Stocks ED programme initiatives and vast industry knowledge, that may otherwise not be accessible to a small, emerging contractor within South Africa,” says Dladla.
Wanotha officially joined the ED programme in 2021, and the following development areas were actioned:
- Printing of the company’s profile;
- Development of a covering letter and presentation template;
- Development and printing of a comprehensive product catalogue;
- CCS license;
- CCS training; and
- Commercial and contractual knowledge training.
The enterprise development relationship with both Wanotha and Mega Roads & Civils will continue into the next financial year, with the objective of further growing the contractors’ ability to position itself as a professional entity, across all provinces of South Africa and possibly cross-border.
“When our partners and their subsidiaries are able to operate successfully, profitably and use their own initiative to expand, pursue growth and project opportunities in their own right, is an indication to the value we can contribute through our development initiatives, as well as being testimony to the calibre of the contractors that we form relationships with,” says Stefanutti Stocks Development Director Charles Wright. “Our intention is to continue supporting both Wanotha and Mega Roads & Civils in the next financial year, and we look forward to playing our small part in their continued success story.”