Client: Liqhobong Diamond Development Company (Pty) Ltd
Description: A joint venture (JV), comprising of Stefanutti Stocks Roads and Earthworks and Stefanutti Stocks Civils, was tasked with the construction of all early earthworks and civil works required for the Liqhobong Mine Expansion Project.
The scope of work on the project undertaken by the JV included the construction of:
- A two-level main plant terrace (excavation of approximately 200 000m3 of overburden and hill wash material; 275 000m3 of blasted cut to fill in hard rock; and the construction of a 468m2 reinforced earth wall to achieve the height difference of six metres between the two levels).
- An accommodation terrace (120 000m3 cut to fill; 3-kilometres of sewer line; 3-kilometres of water line).
- A new 5.8km access road (the road is cut into the side of the mountain to allow the movement of larger equipment up to site. Lesotho’s average annual rainfall of 934mm necessitated the installation of 1.2-kilometres of Armco pipes, coupled with 1 500m3 of gabion baskets to ensure sufficient protection from erosion.
- A network of internal roads (requiring 440 000m3 of fill).
- An inventory stockpile and primary crusher (construction of a level terrace; cut to fill operation of approximately 90 000m3; construction of an 18-metre high reinforced earth wall).
- Crushing (4 000m3 of 19mm concrete aggregate; 3 000m3 of crusher sand; and 72 000m3 of layer work material).
- The concrete scope of work included approximately 6 661m3 concrete spread across the following structures:
- primary crusher
- ROM transfer tower
- secondary crushing
- tertiary crushing
- work shop
- coarse surge bin
- fine DMS surge bin
- coarse DMS
- fines DMS
- tertiary screening
-conveyors, MCCs and transformer bays